Benvenuti / Welcome to
Benvenuti / Welcome to
The town of Spigno takes its name from two types of thorny trees which thrive in
this area -
Website, text, photos
© LM Shapcott 2009 -
Except where photos have been rightfully accredited to the photographer / owner
Photos marked ● are in the Public Domain
The tallest mountain peaks are: Monte Petrella (1533 metres), Monte San Angelo (1404 metres), Monte Forte (1321 metres) and Mount Strampaduro. There are many paths through the park which is popular with hikers and mountain bikers.
There are several underground rivers and reservoirs in the area, particularly at Capodacqua. The ingenious Romans tapped into these water supplies and built an impressive aqueduct during the reign of Emperor Tito Favio Vespasiano, which served the town of Minturnae.
Local shepherds formed some early settlements at Campovivo, Campola, San Giovanni Aracoeli, Casarini, Colle di Teti. Near Campovivo are the remains of an ancient polygonal wall.
Spigno is made up of two main districts, Spigno Saturnia Superiore and Spigno Saturnia Inferiore.
Spigno Saturnia Superiore, sometimes also known as Spigno Vecchio, is the original old village, sited on a rocky spur at a height of 375 metres and has magnificent views of the Gulf of Gaeta and the Valle dell'Ausente below. Across the valley you can see numerous marble quarries.
The newer part of the territory, Spigno Saturnia Inferiore, sprawls out on to the
lower plain, built following the war of 1943-
Spigno Saturnia was awarded the Medaglia D’Argento al Gonfalone for its sacrifice and patriotism during World War II.
Being situated on the Gustav Line in a position of strategic importance it was subjected to violent raids by the German army, also heavy and prolonged bombing by the Allies, which resulted in numerous civilian casualties and virtually the total destruction of the town.
The people suffered great hardship and suffering, they were forced to abandon their homes and belongings and find refuge in the mountains.
The town’s Patron Saint is San Giovanni Battista. A new church was built in memory of the 14th century church which was completely destroyed during the war.
Other churches of Spigno include:
The Chiesa di Santa Croce, 14th century, enlarged in the 18th century and restored after the war.
The church of San Lorenzo, where in the crypt there are traces of frescoes probably of the Benedictine School.
The Chiesa di San Gerardo, a small country church with a bell tower, built around the end of the 17th century,
situated near the water source of Capodacqua.
Many of Spigno Saturnia’s citizens emigrated to Morningside, Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
where there is a Spigno Saturnia Italo-
Some also emigrated to Argentina.
The town was recorded in an ancient document, the "Codex Diplomaticus Cajetanus" in the year 999.
The town was governed for a time by Montecassino. It was conquered by the Normans who in approximately 1000 AD built a formidable stone fortress named “Castrum Spinei”. This was surrounded by walls and guarded by a tall square tower, some smaller towers and turrets.
Spigno was then ruled by the Caetani family, then ownership was passed to the Colonna family and finally to the Carafa family. In 1806 the castle became private property but was sadly left to crumble.
In 1944, the square tower was destroyed by German troops, so today only two cylindrical towers remain. Following the Unification of Italy the town had “Saturnia”, an ancient poetic name of Italy, attached to its name, so as to distinguish it from other towns which bore the a similar name.